List of Firsts for Obama
1. Inauguration to top George Bush $42.5 million and President Bill Clinton $33 million inauguration, the inauguration is estimated to reach between $40-$45 million. All figures exclude the cost of federally covered security.
As of today, January 19, 2009, $41 million has been raised by PIC2009, the Obama Inauguration Committee. PIC represents another first by Obama, a social networking site for the Inauguration Committee’s activities. They’ll also host the Inauguration starting 11:30am, January 20, 2009.
2. Attempt at Inauguration Committee fundraising transparency. See Donors to the Presidential Inaugural Committee.
3. First to best Britney Economy (at least in DC this weekend) (see Public Space). Most successful and prolific product placement and exclusive right s package for Inauguration (over $5 million)(extending accessibility to those who afford HBO or internet (HBO.com Inauguration live, “We Are One.”) See also “Inaugural Panel Sells Exclusive Rights”. Trademark filings for Obama Products. Balls for Causes and Dresses for Less.
4. Most prolific political fundraiser in American history (more than $600 million)
5. Majority of the popular vote since Jimmy Carter in 1976
6. Received more white votes than any Democrat since Carter
7. The largest majority of women, independents, moderates, African-Americans, Hispanics and young voters by any Democrat since Lyndon B. Johnson in 1964
8. Senator since John F. Kennedy to become president
9. President from Illinois since Lincoln and Ulysses Grant
10. President born in Hawaii